About Department of Journalism and Media Studies
About Department of Journalism and Media Studies
The Department of Journalism and Media Studies is made up of skills courses that focus on the practice of journalism and media production and conceptual courses that teach students to analyze media and media institutions in a democratic society. We stand out among other journalism programs in our emphasis on both theory and practice.
At the undergraduate level, our students learn state-of-the-art writing and production techniques for digital, broadcast and print journalism and media production. Skills courses such as Digital News writing and Reporting, Broadcast News Writing and Reporting, Design and Digital Editing, Magazine Writing, Multimedia Sports Reporting and Digital Media Production give students a chance for hands-on expression. Conceptual courses such as Consumer Media Culture, Media and Popular Culture, Media and Politics, Media and Social Change, and Gender, Race and Class in the Media help students understand and critique the role of media in modern life. Students also have the chance earn specializations in sports media and global media and to experience the world outside the United States in JMS courses that offer a study-abroad component.
Full-time faculty in JMS have both practical experience in journalism and research expertise in a variety of areas of media studies. Faculty members have reported, edited and done production work for top media outlets in the tri-state area, across the country and around the world and have produced research published in leading scholarly journals and books. They conduct research in the areas of public culture and digital democracy; social movement media; global, local, and regional cultural production; media history and journalistic production; nationalism, citizenship and identity; media and public policy; and media diversity. The research of our faculty not only broadens the scholarship in the field, but also acts upon our society in transformative ways.
World University of Bangladesh (WUB) established under the private University Act, 1992 (amended in 1998), approved and recognized by the Ministry of Education, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh is a leading university for utilitarian education. The University is governed by a board of trustees constituted as per private universities Act 2010 which is a non-profit making concern. The university is a member of the Association of Private Universities in Bangladesh, Association of Common Wealth Universities and Quality Assurance & Improvement Council and appears in the worldwide listing of universities by the UNESCO.
Although the formal approval to start operation of the World University of Bangladesh was received on February 26, 2003, the ground work for the university began in early part of 2000, Now the university on entering its 18th year of operation has all needed infrastructural facilities and highly qualified teachers in its 3 faculties and 12 departments with 28 programs at day and evening.
World University of Bangladesh is destined to provide utilitarian education for economic emancipation without undermining the national ideals and aspirations and is authorized to offer courses and award degrees, diplomas, certificates on its own. At present it has credit transfer arrangements and academic collaborations with some universities in UK, USA, Australia and the Caribbean.
The university had its first convocation on 28th October 2008, where 10000+ students received degree from the Hon’ble President of People’s Republic of Bangladesh and Chancellor of World University of Bangladesh. (Also see our website: www.wub.edu.bd). As many as 5000+ students are now ready for conferment of degrees in the up-coming convocation. None of its degree holders is unemployed implying its emphasis on quality education with utilitarian bent.
This university is the pioneer in introducing degree programs for the Diploma Engineers; B.Sc. in Mechatronics Engineering (MTE) & Master of Business Education (MBE) in this part of the world. The MTE program also known as electro-Mechanical engineering in few western countries is a synergistic combination of a number of basic engineering and administrative courses. As such, it is a highly demanding course at home and abroad. The MBE program is meant for people destined to make career in teaching of business related subjects and for those willing to make a career in practical business world in short span of time. We have few Institutes and various types of collaboration programs. All of our programs are approved by the UGC. We publish some journals which have earned appreciation at home and abroad.
The vision of the Department of Journalism and Media Studies is to produce graduates having sports professional and effective classroom teachers with leadership in education and teaching qualities with focuses on quality initiative. Empowering educators, transforming lives, impacting all tiers and sectors of education by preparing dynamic leaders and practitioners in teaching, research and management having content excellence. Pedagogical competence, commitment, integrity, value education, social transformation and sustainable development are the main focuses of the department.
- To produce competent classroom teachers for public and private schools of secondary level.
- To prepare educational leaders, managers, educationists, researchers and curriculum developers for the nation.
- To improve quality of teachers through pre-service and in-service teacher education.
- To motivate the youths towards educational professions.
- To learn and contribute through linkages with national and international academic community.
- To take equity measures and address the needs of the divergent learners effectively.
- Demonstrate foundational knowledge in the field of education.
- Demonstrate competence in evaluating and conducting research and scholarship in education.s
- Communicate effectively with multiple constituencies in teaching and learning.
- Demonstrate skills in collaboration and in leadership.
- Demonstrate skills in cultural competence and global formation in education.
- Develop the perception of the learners on the discipline of education as a life-long activity.
- Facilitate learners to participate actively for the educational development of the society.
- Prepare learners on content excellence, pedagogical and commitment.
- Expose learners on curriculum development, management skills and research.
- Make the learners competent in evaluation and assessment techniques.
- Ensure learners’ moral and ethical education.
Well-equipped class rooms and state of the art labs and modern teaching aids
WUB Lab Pictures
- Highly qualified and experienced faculty members.
- Student scholarship.
- Student-friendly fee and payment system.
- Hostel facilities for ladies & rural students.
- Teaching with full time teachers.
- Students’ involvement with professional, social and cultural organizations.
- Different performance based scholarship & stipend.
- Friday & Evening classes.
- The campus is under Wi-Fi facilities.